Thursday, June 27, 2013

Tuna Salad - Salad


I love making tuna salad. It's high in protein, fish oils and healthy fats. I have a few variations that I keep in my mental rolodex at all times. This version is a take on an artichoke spinach dip, but dairy free. In the hot summers of Oklahoma, I eat less and generally crave cold, savory things. This dish fills that need perfectly. Sometimes I put it on a whole wheat bun or in a whole grain tortilla with lettuce and tomato but last night I really wanted to ditch the carbohydrates and go for the salad on salad thing. 

I would love to make this from a filet that has been baked or grilled every time, but occasionally, I am in a pinch for time and I keep some good quality canned tuna in my pantry for this reason. The best kind is organic, line or wild caught, and packed in olive oil. It tastes really good alone and that's how you can tell it's the good stuff. Tuna that is farm raised has been exploited in that it's natural reproductive cycles are controlled for higher production. They do not live like they do in the wild and their environment at a farm is manipulated for a profit. I'm sure there is an exception some where, but that is generally a safe assumption. You could also make this from a raw or rare filet and create an Asian-inspired sashimi salad with sesame oil, rice vinegar, green onions or curry spice.




INGREDIENTS
1 can good quality, organic tuna or a nice filet, prepared your way
artichoke hearts
capers
fresh parsley
celery and celery leaves
red onion, minced
garlic
hard-boiled egg (optional)
nutritional yeast
dijon mustard
vegenaise
salt + pepper
cayenne (or raw jalapeno)

spring mix or salad green of your choice
grape or cherry tomatoes
shredded purple cabbage
shredded carrots

DIRECTIONS
Mix everything together for the tuna salad. Taste and adjust your seasoning. Use salt last because the capers are packed in a salty brine that gives great flavor and you may not need to add extra.
Make your salad and top it with a nice scoop of the tuna. A drizzle of red wine vinegar is a simple dressing for your greens if you feel like you need to add something. I have found that the tuna salad alone is an incredible dressing as it gets mixed in with your greens at every bite. Serve with whole grain crackers or toast.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment