Saturday, November 23, 2013

Crispy Flatbread Pizzas

I've been trying to find a good recipe for a quick pizza dough without the rise time when working with yeast. I can be patient, but my kids, not so much. So I came up with a two-in-one solution using my home made tortillas. By rubbing a little olive oil over them, it makes the edges crisp up just like a pizza. I like thin cracker-like crust anyway, so this worked PERFECTLY. With the tortillas already made, this recipe takes 30 minutes or less! I usually spend weekends restocking my pantry with our home made staples like the tortillas, granola, crackers, almond milk etc... so I typically have them on hand most of the time. Everyone got to have exactly what they wanted on their pizza which was a big win. Serve it with a salad and you're done!


 I used my cashew cream as a vegan alfredo and it was delicious. I like to make vegetables the star of my pie so I just loaded on sliced mushrooms, diced zucchini, quartered grape tomatoes and a giant pile of arugula. I drizzled the whole thing with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Then I crumbled up some chunks of fresh mozzarella. It's really flavorful and you don't have to load up on the heavy shredded stuff. It makes this pizza light and tasty while still getting that bubbly brown on top.

Bake this at 450 for 10 - 12 minutes, rotating it halfway through the cooking time. You can get super creative with toppings and flavor combinations. Experiment and have fun with it. Let your kids make their own by setting out bowls of toppings. They will love that.

Get the recipe for the whole grain tortillas here and the cashew alfredo here.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment